Friday, June 09, 2006

Music to the Ears

Just met my ex-dancemate (Adrian) last night, showing off my baby to him. In the car, I had to turn out loud music to make BabyShasha quiet and less lonely. The comment I got from Adrian was, "This is the first baby I met who listens to adult music. All of my friends' babies listen to Barney songs or other baby songs..."

I have one reason why I don't filter music for my precious little ears: I want her to catch the English words as how adults speak, just like I did when I was a kid. She could learn a lot, especially in listening to the radio early in the morning on the way to the nursery... And the variety of music, melody, tempo and rhythm can make her train herself to different timing, sounds, intonations, etc.


Music has taught me a lot in thinking creatively and logically (mathematically), and I expect the same for my baby. Thinking of the fact that I've given her the "advanced teaching" in music, I browsed through the Net to find out more about baby's development, and here are my findings:

Did You Know...
The music myth has been debunked! Think playing all that classical music for your baby will make her smarter? Hate to break it to you, but researchers at Appalachian State University say the "Mozart Effect," a temporary increase in intelligence experienced after listening to a piano sonata written by the famed composer, isn't real. So if you'd rather play Norah Jones for your baby, go right ahead.
Source: http://parenting.ivillage.com

Finally I found one write-up that supports my action. Hehehe... Follow the motherly instinct, eh? ;-)


- MommieSha
09 Jun 2006

No comments: