Monday, August 25, 2008

S for Grapes?

I taught Fasha the trick to identify the alphabets and match them with the right picture, for her block game. It also helps me in a way that when she matches the blocks, it would fit in the container and making it easy to be stored away. No more mess!


After many days of understanding the matching tips, Fasha could enjoy playing with the blocks. So she knows that the first letter shown in the picture is the alphabet to look for to match. She also learns to speak out the words and letters.


So there goes... E for Elephant, A for Apply, F for Fish, O for Orange, and so on... Until last few days, she started arguing with me when her blocks didn't fit! You know why?

Fasha argued that "s" in "Grapes" is the same as the block stating "S" alphabet! ... Oh dear! Insead of reading the first letter, she read the last letter, and thus the blocks couldn't fit in. (Refer to the pic for better understanding.)


"Mami, tak boleh...., " she whined. "Ni sama dengan ni..., tapi tak boleh...," she argued. It took me a few times to explain and convince her to read only the first letter, at the same time indicating to her that she's not wrong for saying the last letter is "S".


So that was phase one of learning the letter blocks.


Phase two was when she argued that the apple picture is orange. So I took the block with orange picture and showed her the comparison - orange is much more rounder than apple, so it's different.


Phase three is more interesting...


Two days down the road, she started her debate again. "Mami, ni sama!" She showed letter "I" and letter "J" indicating that they are the same. So I said, "Ha ah! Sama! Tapi J ada ekor, I tak ada ekor."

The next day when playing the blocks, she showed to me the "Y" and the "V", saying that they are the same. I told her that "Lain la. Y ada ekor, V tak ada ekor. Kepala saja yang sama..."

The case went on and on about such arguments, day by day. She really learns a lot from the blocks. Good!

I also taught her and guided her on writing simple alphabets, such as Y, I and S. She wanted me to write for her, like how she bullied me to copy draw for her ALL the pictures on the block onto paper! Yes, ALL! I had to draw apple, orange, pencil, balloon, and even elephant, zebra, tree, duck, hen, yacht! Argh! Luckily, I'm an artist (wahahaha!!).


So I also taught her to draw an egg (oval shape). So she drew an egg on her own (refer to picture below).

Then she went beyond the egg... she drew a van. Huh? Van? Yes..., van... the 2 circles of the van's tyres! HAHAHA!!! So cute! :-*
Mommie learning new perspectives of alphabets too!
- MommieSha
25 Aug 2008

No comments: